Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Thing #15

I found the articles a little hard to understand and not easy to read. (Am I out dated?) I also realized how important it is to try to stay informed and interested when something is hard.
As the article says: “In Web 2.0, the Web becomes the center of a new digital lifestyle that changes our culture and touches every aspect of our lives.” Technology is updated everyday, so it's only reasonable to think that this evolving technology will be part of education from now on.

I enjoyed reading the perspectives of bloggers, librarians, and the futurist on the Library 2.0. It is clear that libraries are changing. The library in my school has certainly changed in appearance and in the amount of technology available. Students with happily accept the Web 2.0 tools with ease and without fear. Adults (like me) are usually a little harder to convince to try the new and unexplored. (I am glad when I decided to sign up for these 23 things and not feel so intimidated). Our librarian embraces the idea that the library and her role as librarian are, and will continue to be, evolving. We're luck to have someone who embraces change and wants to grow and learn. Our librarian has done a fantastic job of training teachers so that we are able to train our students in the many uses of the technology that is available. She inspires us as classroom teachers to be open minded and a little daring in incorporating new technology into our teaching.

The video, "A Vision of Students Today", really hit me hard. With all of the electronic devices they grow up with (video games, iPods, iPhones, DVD players) they expect everything to be technology based. It is important that they are constantly reminded that not everything they read on the Internet or in blogs is necessarily correct.
I can't even remember the last time I saw a chalkboard in a school.

No comments:

Post a Comment